Surigao del Norte Mainland Municipalities
- Municipality of Alegria
- Municipality of Bacuag
- Municipality of Claver
- Municipality of Gigaquit
- Municipality of Mainit
- Municipality of Malimono
- Municipality of Placer
- Municipality of San Francisco
- Surigao City
- Municipality of Sison
- Municipality of Taganaan
- Municipality of Tubod
Municipality of Alegria
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF ALEGRIA
The Municipality of Alegria is located in the Province of Surigao del Norte, under Caraga Region, Northeastern Mindanao, Philippines. It is situated at the latitude of 9 degrees 28’ 1.20″ and longitude of 125 degrees 34’ 37.2”. It is bounded in the north by the Municipalities of Mainit and Tubod, in the east by the Municipality of Bacuag, in the west by Lake Mainit and in the south by the Municipality of Kitcharao.
Alegria was originally known as SitioAnahaw founded by Pablo Ugay, CiriacoEfren, Vicente Ugay, AgripinoMurcilla, PioOdvina, Bernardo Orquina, FerminOdchimar who among others migrated from the Municipality of Bacuag, Surigao del Norte. Because of its location, near Lake Mainit, it was always overflooded during the rainy season prompting the people to transfer to a safer place now known as Poblacion, Alegria.
The name Alegria was derived from the Spanish word “Alegre” which means lively. This was given by Judge Sixto Olga who happened to pass the night in the place. He was offered by the residents with a party and dance. Amused by the affair, Judge Olga advised the people to change the name Anahaw to “ Alegria”.
Republic Act No. 5239– an act creating the municipality of Alegria in the Province of Surigao del Norte. Act shall take effect upon on June 15, 1968. The barrios of Alegria namely, Ombong, San Pedro, Alipao, and Pungtod and the Sitios of Gamoton, Anahao, Camp Eduardo, Budlingin, Lomundo and Manag-as, all in the Municipality of Mainit, Province of Surigao del Norte, are separated from the said municipality and constituted into a distinct and independent municipality, to be known as the Municipality of Alegria, same province. The seat of the government of the new municipality shall be in the present site of the barrio of Alegria.
Most inhabitants of the locality are of Surigaonon origin. Second is of Cebuano origin numbering then next is of Boholano origin followed by other tribes of origin which is already very minimal. Indigenous people commonly called Mamanwas, represents a minimum number in the community who are settling at Brgy, San Juan, and in the uplands of Brgy. Budlingin and Camp Eduard.
Rice area is estimated to have a total area of 979 hectares: 750 hectares are irrigated while more or less 229 hectares are considered as rain-fed areas. There are nine (9) rice producing barangays of the municipality, namely: Barangays Pongtud, San Juan, Alipao, San Pedro, Anahaw, Poblacion, Gamuton, Julio Ouano, and Ombong.
It has a total agricultural area of 2,774 hectares. As of 2007 survey, 979 hectares are devoted to rice production with an average annual production of 3,916 metric tons; 1,795 hectares have been planted to coconuts with an annual production of 2,393 metric tons intercropped with bananas, fruit trees, vegetables, abaca, and other high-value crops. A total of 734 farmer-owners of agricultural lands including the huge numbers of farmworkers/tenants are dependent on farming.
As to agriculture, major crops produced in the area are rice, coconuts, and bananas. Of the three (3) crops, rice production dominates in area planted with a yearly production of approximately 3,916 metric tons then coconut with 2,393 metric tons and banana with 8,550.6 metric tons per annum, respectively. Vegetables and other root crops are the secondary sources of income of the farmers in this place; however, these can contribute very much in their family income.
The municipality is also endowed with beautiful scenery such as the Lake Mainit, Putting Bato Cave and Lumondo Waterfalls.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF ALEGRIA MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
With the creation of Surigao Del Norte Province, the Police Provincial office was activated on 02 January 1991 and Alegria Municipal Police Station is one of its front-liners to effectively serve the needs of the people in the Maintenance of Peace and Order and the Prevention of Public Safety in the municipality.
Alegria Municipal Police Station is located in Barangay Gamuton, Alegria Surigao del Norte. It has a total of 25 PNP personnel broken down as follows: 1 PCO, 21 PNCOs and 4 NUPs. The police to population ratio is 1:684.
LOGO & SYMBOLISM
THIS SEAL ENCOMPASSES THE FOLLOWING:
- PLAINS – represent the vast area of Riceland.
- COCONUT TREE – represent the abundant coconut as the second major crop grown in the locality.
- MOUNTAINS – represent the agricultural resources dependency of the municipality.
Municipality of Bacuag
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF BACUAG, SURIGAO DEL NORTE
Bacuag is considered an old establishment founded in the 16th century. The original community was first established in Panhutungan. But some years later, this was abandoned and the people within transferred to another place, now called Lungsod-Daan, along the shore near the already well-established town of Gigaquit. In 1851, a super typhoon struck and washed out the settlement. This made the founding elders composed of the group of Kapitanes namely Simon Efren, Antonio Odjinar, Agustin Opalia de Los Santos, Juan Ugay Mariano and Cipriano Orquina Francisco endorsed by Rev. Fr. Gregorio Logronio, Parish Priest of Gigaquit, to petition the high authorities in Manila on March 2, 1853, to transfer the settlement to a safer place. This petition was approved and consequently, Bacuag transferred to its present site in 1855.
In 1880, the influx of the Visayan settlers mostly from Bohol started. They were welcomed by the natives (Naturales) who had a distinct culture embodied as compared to the Visayan settlers. A vigorous development was achieved in spite of the diversity of cultures due to the full cooperation of the settlers wherein Bacuag in 1890 was the very well-established community of the province.
Executive Order No. 61
The record shows that Bacuag became a municipality on January 1, 1919, by virtue of Executive Order No. 61 signed by Governor-General Charles E. Yeater. Lucas Patino was appointed as the first Municipal President. At the time of its creation, Bacuag had only five (5) barangays composed of Cabugao, Cambuayon, Dugsangon, Payapag and Poblacion. In 1960, Barangay Pautao was added through a Provincial Board Approval and in 1964 Barangays Campo and Sto. Rosario was also added through Republic Act No. 359. The present nine (9) barangays were completed in 1967 through a Provincial Board approval added Barangay Pongtud as the ninth barangay.
Bacuag is located at 125035’ to 125041’ longitude and 9029’ to 9038’ latitude which is situated along the northeastern coast of Mindanao Island, along the eastern part of the Province of Surigao del Norte. It is bounded on the northwestern portion by the Municipality of Placer and on the northeastern portion by the Hinatuan Passage. On the southern side, it is bounded by the Municipality of Gigaquit and on the western side bounded by the Municipality of Tubod and Alegria. Bacuag is approximately 44 kilometers away from the Capital City of Surigao and 119 kilometers from the Butuan City as the Regional Center.
Bacuag has a total land area covering 9,585 hectares for which 60 percent of its municipal land is considered agricultural and 25 percent is considered a protected area. Its land cover is further subdivided into nine (9) barangays and one (1) barangay (Poblacion) is the urban center of the town. Another urbanizing barangay (Campo) is considered as the growth center of the town wherein all rural barangays will converge in the area. Barangay Payapag is considered as the biggest barangay in terms of land area which covers 2,438.235 hectares of municipal land, while Barangay Pongtud has the smallest land area covered at about 357.649 hectares.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF BACUAG MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
Bacuag Municipal Police Station was attached at the back portion of the Municipal Building with an estimated floor area of only 25 sqm.
Fortunately, a new and standard PNP Building was turned over last March 16, 2016, located in front of the Municipal Hall, Quezon Street, Poblacion Bacuag Surigao del Norte. It has a total of 19 PNP Personnel broken down into 1 PCO, 18 PNCOs. The police population is 1:764.
Municipality of Claver
BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF CLAVER
The Municipality of Claver is located on the Northern coast of Surigao del Norte. A large part of the municipal area is a mining reservation with a large Iron Mineral deposit.
It is made up of Fourteen (14) Barangays with a definite total land area of 32,262 hectares and 25,079 population. It is the boundary between Surigao del Norte and Surigao del Sur province.
Henceforth, the town of Claver is the number one topmost biggest income municipality in the whole province of CARAGA Region due to the Mining Companies that established in the area.
HISTORY OF CLAVER
The town of CLAVER was once a place of abode of Negrito called Tayaga. Father Esteban Epee, a Jesuit of neighboring Municipality of Gigaquit, decided to find a settlement for the natives with the ultimate purpose of Christianizing them. Contrary to his expectations, the Natives retreated to the Diwata Mountains. Undaunted, the Jesuit missionary invited immigrants from Bohol and Leyte to settle in Tayaga and the settlement grew. It was then renamed as CLAVER.
At the turn of the century, CLAVER became a municipality. It was short-lived, however. A cholera epidemic in 1903 greatly depleted its population and income causing its reversion to its former status as a barrio of Gigaquit for more than a half-century. Meanwhile, in 1939, the Surigao Mineral Reservation was proclaimed and parcel 1 included CLAVER together with parts of Gigaquit and Surigao del Sur. On September 13, 1955, President Ramon Magsaysay signed Executive Order No. 126 re-converted CLAVER into a Municipality.
From then on, Claver edges its way towards becoming one of the major municipalities in the province of Surigao del Norte. With the effort of its citizenry, local officials, and support of the private and national government institutions, some of its resources were productively utilized gradually achieving the desired socio-economic development goals
Done in the City of Manila, this 13th day of September, in the year of Our Lord, nineteen hundred and fifty-five, and of the Independence of the Philippines, the tenth.
EXECUTIVE ORDER NO. 126 – CREATING THE MUNICIPALITY OF CLAVER IN THE PROVINCE OF SURIGAO
Pursuant to the provisions of section Sixty-eight of the Revised Administrative Code, there is hereby created in the province of Surigao a municipality to be known as the municipality of Claver to consist of the barrios of Claver, which shall be the seat of the municipal government, Nuevo Campo Inferior, Panatao, Urbiztondo, and Taganito, with their sitio’s namely: Cagdayanao, Cabugo, Jayanggabon, Pangabihon, Dinangdangan, Tinamulawan, Sicosico, Carrubon, Agpot, Wanqui, Cambalilig, Lapinigan, Osok, Pamoyanon, Doyong, Bacoyod, Ladgaron, Tayaga, Tayohong, Bocbocan, Pangi, Daywan, Tabwan, Tayawod, Doyao-doyao, Maaslom, Canmintay, Boyognon, Baybay, Cayangag, Maibay, Pulahan, Walog, Pongtod, and Sodlon, all of the municipality of Gigaquit, same province.
The municipality of Gigaquit shall have its present territory minus the portion thereof comprised in the barrios and sitios included in the municipality of Claver. The municipality of Claver shall begin to exist after-November 8, 1955, upon the appointment and qualification of the mayor, vice-mayor, and a majority of the councilors thereof, and upon the certification by the Secretary of Finance that said municipality is financially capable of implementing the provisions of the Minimum Wage Law and providing for all the statutory obligations and ordinary essential services of a regular municipality and that the mother municipality of Gigaquit, after the segregation therefrom of the barrios and sitio’s comprised in the municipality of Claver, can still maintain creditably its municipal government, meet all statutory and contractual obligations and provide for essential municipal services.
Claver is located at the North-eastern sea board of Surigao del Norte within the grid of 125 degrees north latitude and 9.21 degrees to 9.37 degrees East latitude. It’s North is bounded by HINATUAN Passage, West is bounded by Municipality of Gugaquit, South is bounded by the Provinces of Agusan del Norte and Agusan del Sur and East us the Province of Surigao del Sur. It has a total area of 32,262 hectares of land which is further subdivided to 14 Barangays.
The flat comprises a very small percentage that extends from Daywan to the Poblacion and spots along the coast towards Surigao del Sur. The rest is unbroken series of hills and mountains lorded over by Mt. Legazpi on the south and western border.
In the north-east, it is bounded by the Pacific Ocean, to the west by the town of Gigaquit, and to the south by the boundary town of Carrascal, Surigao del Sur. It is approximately 60 kilometers (37 mi) southeast of the provincial capital, Surigao City
Claver is a first-class municipality in the province of Surigao del Norte, Philippines. With a total land area of 322.60 square kilometres (124.56 sq mi), it is the largest municipality of the province.
Mining is a major source of living in the municipality followed by farming & forestry, fishing and family operated business. Currently, there are four open-cut mining companies operating explicitly: Adnama Mining Resources Inc. (AMRI) in Brgy. Urbiztondo, Taganito Mining Corporation (TMC) and Taganito High-Pressure Acid Leach (THPAL) in Brgy. Taganito and Platinum Group Metals Corporation (PGMC) situated at Brgy. Cagdianao this municipality. These products are sold and exported to Japan and China.
CLAVER MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
The construction of Claver Municipal Police Station started last March 1991 to effectively serve the needs of the people in the Maintenance of Peace and Order to ensure Public Safety and Security.
Claver Municipal Police Station is located at Brgy. Tayaga, Claver, Surigao del Norte. It has a total of 24 PNP personnel broken down into: 2 PCOs, 18 PNCO’s and 4 NUP’s. The police to population ratio are 1:1,184.
Municipality of Gigaquit
BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF GIGAQUIT
The municipality of Gigaquit is bounded in the east by the municipality of Claver, on the west municipality of Bacuag, on the north by the sea and on the south by the municipalities of Alegria and Kitharao in Agusan del Norte. Gigaquit is considered the local wine producer of the Caraga Region.
Gigaquit is one of the oldest municipalities in the province of Surigao del Norte and was once the mother municipality of Bacuag and Claver, which became separate municipalities in 1918 and 1955 under executive orders No. 61 and 126, respectively.
As borne out of historical writings, Gigaquit was founded in 1850 by a native named Cero who fortified the town and made it safe from Moro depredations.
The municipality of Gigaquit got its name from two native words “gigad” which means shore and “gakit” meaning bamboo raft. Early settlers used these rafts as transportation from the hinterlands to the shore. From what was handed down by word of mouth during the years, the two words were coined and later became “Gigaquit.”
The municipality is made up of thirteen (13) barangays composing eleven (11) rural barangays and two (2) Poblacion barangays. The total land area of the municipality is 23,778.275 hectares with 20,638 inhabitants as of 2010. It is considered as 5th largest rice-producing municipality and the main producer of Gigaquit Rhum (Las-ay) of the province of Surigao del Norte.
Gigaquit is the second to the last municipality of Surigao del Norte bounding Surigao del Sur in the south. It lies approximately between the grid 125*38’ to 125* 47’ north latitude and between the grid 9*18’ to 9*37’ east longitude. The municipality is interiorly located facing the Pacific Ocean and is composed of 13 barangays. It is 58 kilometers from Surigao City, the Provincial Capital and 550 nautical miles from Manila.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF GIGAQUIT MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
The Gigaquit Municipal Police Station was made into being sometime last January 2, 1991, by virtue of R.A. 6975 (DILG Act of 1990). Which is a type “C” Component Municipal Police Station; to serve the needs of the people.
The present location of this Police Station is at the BJMP Building situated in Barangay Ipil, Gigaquit Surigao del Norte. At present Gigaquit Municipal Police Station have personnel strength of 21 strong men and women in uniform; 1 PCO; 20 PNCO’s; and 4 Non-Uniformed Personnel with a Police to Population Ratio of 1:982.
LOGO & SYMBOLISM
THIS SEAL ENCOMPASSES THE FOLLOWING:
- LETTER “G” – represent the first letter in the name of the municipality.
- FISH – represent the abundant supply of fish/fishing industry.
- COCONUT TREE – represent the agricultural resources of the municipality.
- SHOVEL &HOE – represent the vast mineral wealth.
- CORN– represent the abundance of the corn industry.
- LOGS – represent the vast wood in the municipality.
- RICE and STRAW – represent the abundant supply of rice harvest.
- ROPE– represent the unity of the people in the municipality.
- WINEMAKER SIGN at the Center of letter “G”- represent the wine industry of the municipality.
Municipality of Mainit
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF MAINIT
Mainit is located in the southern part of the Province of Surigao del Norte. It is bounded on the North by the Municipalities of Sison and Placer, on the South by the Municipality of Alegria and Province of Agusan del Norte, on the East by the Municipalities of Tubod and Bacuag, and on the West by the Municipality of Malimono. It has a total land area of 89,244.00190 hectares, 13,841.02 has. is the alienable and disposable land, 1,501.87 is the forest land and 10.9150 has. is the ancestral domain.
Mainit is practically surrounded and separated from the nearby municipalities by mountain ranges. Along the boundary of Tubod – Bacuag and Mainit is Mt. Diwata with an elevation of 750 ft. Sison – Placer – Mainit boundary is Mt. Buhangin with an elevation of 664 ft. Malimono-Mainit boundary is the Mt. Tendido ranges, with an elevation of 900 ft. These mountain ranges contrast with flatlands around the lake an area where most of Mainit’s barangay are located and which is intensely cultivated with rice.
Mainit is a fast-growing municipality in terms of economy. It is considered a 4th class municipality. Farming is the main source of income with rice as the principal crop having an annual production of 11,583.2 MT followed by coconut which has 8,559.4 MT. Fishing also is another major source income of the local folks because of the existence of Lake Mainit.
Aside from farming and fishing, Mainit operates and establishes other sources of income utilizing its local raw materials like water hyacinth/water lilies, abaca, baliw or buli, rattan, tambo, etc. into local slippers, bags, baskets, trays and many more. Furniture making (made of narra, tugas, gemilina, driftwood, etc.), rice milling, small scale gold panning are other forms of industry operated in the locality.
Other commercial activities include palay and rice trading, grocery and sari-sari stores operation, hotel & resort, internet and refreshment cafés, pharmacies, hardware, eateries, pawnshops, bakeries, agri-vet supplies, rural banks, lending institutions, gasoline refilling station, fish vending, hog fattening, swine production, vegetable, and spices production, ginger production, and the availability on streets of grilled chicken and the like.
LOGO & SYMBOLISM
THIS SEAL ENCOMPASSES THE FOLLOWING:
- PALAY – represents rice farming as the major source of income of the municipality.
- FISH – represents the abundant supply of fish/fishing industry.
- COCONUT TREE – represents the agricultural resources of the municipality.
- SHOVEL &HOE – represent the vast mineral wealth.
B.BRIEF BACKGROUND OF MAINIT MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
The first Mainit Municipal Police Station was first situated just beside the Mainit Municipal Hall at the heart of Poblacion Brgy. Magsaysay which was manned before by PC/INP and was unfortunately overridden and burned during the overwhelming attacked on March 08, 1984, around 0600H in the morning instigated by the CNN’s which was formerly the CPP/NPA firefight lasted almost 1 hour that ended with many killed and wounded in action on both the government side and enemy troops.
After the violent incident, Mainit Municipal Police Station was strategically relocated approximately 80 meters along Rizal St., Brgy. Magsaysay of the town. The building is made up of concrete wall, woods and plywood with a kitchen extension made of light materials. It has a total floor area of 129 square meters. The police station has an actual strength of Twenty-one (21) PNP personnel (1 PCO and 20 PNCO’s) that is below the ratio and proportion set by the PNP which is 1:1000 or one police per one thousand population.
Municipality of Malimono
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF MALIMONO, SURIGAO DEL NORTE
Along the shore of Bohol Sea lies a beautiful place so dear to the populace. A place with fruitful fields and verdant forest; with gorgeous sunsets and beautiful dawns; with abundant aquatic life and picturesque beaches. A place indulged with a noble mission.
Such was and still is the Municipality of Malimono on the Western part of Surigao Del Norte. It is a mountainous place in the Westside of the towering Can-agtiw Mountain- the mountain that dominates the municipalities of Mainit and Jabonga.
Historically, Malimono was once a barrio of Surigao City. Leyteños and Boholanos migrated to this place and became the early inhabitants. Nature blessed Malimono with rich marine and agricultural resources, specifically fish and coconuts. These attracted the neighboring communities of Leyte and Bohol to establish trade between the inhabitants thus marked the economic boom which consequently gave rise to the population. For a number of years, commerce and trade was gaining momentum which catalyzed the creation of the Municipality of Malimono on July 31, 1956 under Executive Order No. 195 of the then President Ramon B. Magsaysay, Sr. However, it was only on October 16 of same year that the Municipal Government was operationalized with the installation of late Mayor Porferio B. Quinto as the first appointed local chief executive.
Legend has it that the name MALIMONO was derived from the Spanish word “MAL MONO” when one day, long time ago, the Spaniards visited the place. Feeling weary and tired, they took rest by the side of the cool spring at the foot of the cone-shape rock facing the Mindanao Sea now called Punta Beach. While enjoying the tranquility of the place and soothing sea breeze, a smart giant monkey from the top of Lauan tree jumped over and grabbed the provisions the Spaniards brought for themselves for that day. Quite smarter than the monkey and being worried about getting starved, the Spaniards engulfed with rage shouted at the top of their voices “MAL MONO’ which means “bad monkey”. Knowing then that the place has no name yet, they started calling the place “MAL MONO’. Since then, the place was named “MALIMONO’. Its coastal marine products are abundant of squid locally known as “Nokus Bulingit” which can be catch in any season time.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF MALIMONO MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
With the creation of Municipality of Malimono the Municipal Police Station was established on 24 November 1956 to effectively serve the needs of the people in the Maintenance of Peace and Order and the Prevention of Public Safety. Malimono Municipal Police Station is located in Malimono Surigao del Norte. It has a total of 22 PNP personnel broken down into 1 PCO, 21 PNCOs. The police to population ratio is 1:922
Municipality of Placer
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF PLACER
Placer was only a small plain along the shores surrounded by hills. The surrounding hills have three (3) creeks, the Egdoy creek, named after the landowner; the Jagimit springs named after a vine and the Ando creek, named after the landowner. These creeks enable the people in washing the glacial deposit containing particles of valuable materials-gold, besides flowing to the rice fields. Thus Capitan Felipe Custodio named the place “Placer,” which means, mines and happiness because the people were happy and prosperous enjoying the rich resources of gold, abundant supply of varied kinds of fish and bountiful harvest from the rice fields.
The Municipality of Placer is located 33 kilometers away from the City of Surigao and lies in the northern portion of Surigaodel Norte.
It has a land area of 8, 990 hectares (89.90 square kilometers) and composed of twenty (20) barangays , ten (10) mainland barangays namely Anislagan, Bad-as, Boyongan, Bugas-Bugas, Mabini, Macalaya, Magupange, San Isidro, Sta. Cruz, and Suyoc. Seven coastal barangays namely: Amoslog, Central, Ipil, Magsaysay, Pananay-an, Panhutongan and tagbongabong, and Three (3) island barangays namely: Ellaperal, Lakandula, and Sani-Sani.
A total population of 26, 029 as of 2013.
Major sources of livelihood in the municipality are fishing, rice farming, coconut farming as the major crop is grown in the locality intercropped with various crops, and lastly, mining wherein an estimated mineral reserve area of 932.1138 hectares or 10.37% of total municipal land. And an estimated one hundred ten (109.5753) hectares are occupied by a manila mining corporation located at Brgy. Magsaysay.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF PLACER MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
As to the background of the Placer MPS, the bldg. was inaugurated on February 18, 2010, during the administration of PSI ALEJANDRO G RECIMO under the local administration of municipal mayor, Hon. Charry T. Mangacop. The police station was realized during the leadership of PSSUPT EMMANUEL TALENTO, Provincial Director SDN PPO.
On Personnel Strength, Placer MPS have the strength of 25 personnel; with 2 PCOs; 20 PNCOs and 3 Non-Uniformed Personnel. Roughly, this translates to a 1:1,183 police to population ratio.
Municipality of San Francisco
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF SAN FRANCISCO
The previous name of the municipality is “Anao-aon” that has been connected to many stories but the most common is about the memories of the two lovers Anao and Aon. Anao was a handsome, strong hunter who fell in love with Aon, the most beautiful woman and daughter of a powerful Datu who ruled the town, which was formerly a barangay. Anao and Aon vowed to be true to their love despite the Datu’s objection. The Datu wanted to break them apart however; he failed since the two lovers were found dead near the riverbank in a cold embrace. Thus, the name Anao-aon is in memory of the two lovers.
Anao-aon became a pueblo after the abolition of the encomienda system in the early part of the Spanish regime with Lorenzo Tremedal, a bonafide resident of Surigao, as the Kapitan del Pueblo.
During the Spanish-American War, the town was almost reduced to ashes hence; it was reverted into a barrio until the earlier part of 1957. Thru the undying efforts of Martillano Diaz, father of ex-Board Member Macario M. Diaz, Anao-aon was emancipated and regained its status as a municipality by virtue of Executive Order No. 249 on May 24, 1957. On August 15, 1957 the municipality was inaugurated. Thru House Bill No. 1768 approved on May 20, 1971, by the House of Senate, Anao-aon was changed into San Francisco in honor of the patron saint, Saint Francis Xavier.
San Francisco is located in the western part of Surigao del Norte. It comprises 11 barangays with 8 (including the town proper) along the coastal area and 3 upland barangays. The general terrain of this municipality is dominantly mountainous with the limited plain area. It has a total land area of about 6,062 hectares with 14,615 inhabitants according to the latest census conducted by NSO.
Fishing and farming are the main sources of living in the municipality.
BRIEF BACKGROUND SAN FRANCISCO MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
With the creation of the Municipality of San Francisco, SDN, the Municipal Police Office was activated in 1980 to effectively serve the needs of the people in the Maintenance of Peace and Order and the Prevention of Public Safety. Below is the list of the former Chief of Police of San Francisco MPS.
The SAN FRANCISCO MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION is located in the western part of Surigao Del Norte. It has a total of twenty-five (25) PNP personnel composed of one (1) PCO, twenty (20) PNCOs and four (4) NUP. Police to Population Ratio is 1: 695 (Total Population as of present 14, 615).
LOGO & SYMBOLISM
THIS SEAL ENCOMPASSES THE FOLLOWING:
- COCONUT TREES – represent the copra industry in the locality
- FISHES – represent the abundant supply of fish/fishing industry
- PALAY – represents the agricultural resources of the Municipality
- SHOVEL, HOE and HARD HAT – represent the mineral wealth of the place
City of Surigao
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF SURIGAO CITY
The City of Surigao is geographically located in the northeastern portion of Mindanao. The city serves as a jump-off point to visitors of nearby Siargao, Dinagat and Bucas Grande Islands. It lies between 9 to 10 degrees north latitude and 125 to 126 degrees east longitude. It is bounded by Dinagat Island on the north, the mainland of Surigao del Norte on the south, Hinatuan passage on the east, Surigao Strait and Southern Leyte on the west. It is Mindanao‘s closest landmass to the Visayas region. Eleven nautical miles across Surigao Strait separates the city from Panaon Island in the Visayas.
Surigao City is composed of 54 barangays, 33 in the mainland and 21 in the islands. The urban area covers 15 barangays or approximately 20% of the total land area.
It has a total land area of 245.34 km2 which is roughly 1.4% of Caraga region. According to the 2010 census, the city has 140,540 inhabitants with an annual growth rate of 1.52%. An average of 573 persons lives per square kilometer, the most densely populated urban area in the Caraga region. The City of Surigao can be traveled through sea, land, and air with scheduled trips.
In 2005 and 2007, the city was chosen as among the most competitive small cities by the Philippine Cities Competitiveness Ranking Project of the Asian Institute of Management. In the 2015 Cities and Municipalities, Competitiveness Index Surigao City ranked 25th in the component city per category and is ranked 50th in the overall ranking.
It was also awarded as the Most Business-Friendly City in Mindanao by the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry. These recent accolades are on top of what it has earned already as consistent National Finalist in the search for Cleanest and Greenest Cities, the Child-Friendly Cities Award, and the distinction of being considered as one of Asia’s Most Livable Cities.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF SURIGAO CITY POLICE STATION
Accordingly, when Surigao became a town the Local Government Unit established its own local police force. The personnel of the police force was appointed by the local chief executive without considering qualifications. Its primary functions were; Patrolling, Guarding Dark and Unsafe Places, Guarding Tribunal and Prison Houses, Conducting Prison, Carrying Mails and other peace and order concerns.
Under Presidential Decree, No. 765, otherwise known as the Police Integration Law, the local police, fire, and jail were merged in one department under the direct supervision of the Local Chief Executive of the Local Government Unit with its office situated at the Surigao City Hall.
Today, Surigao City Police Station with its new business office in Borromeo St., Surigao City remains constant with its commitment to serve the people of Surigao that contributed much to the socio-economic growth of the city.
LOGO & SYMBOLISM
THIS SEAL ENCOMPASSES THE FOLLOWING:
- Surigaonon dialect which means “good” or “the best”.
- Implicates Unity
- Police power over the populace of the city in maintaining peace and order in the community against lawless elements.
FISH AND COCONUT
- Main and abundant in natural resources of the city.
- Source and income of the city populace
PICK-AXE AND SHOVEL
- Signifies that Surigao City is abundant in mineral deposits ( nickel, gold and the like)
Municipality of Sison
Brief Background of the municipality of Sison
The municipality of Sison is one of the 11 municipalities in the mainland of Surigao del Norte. It is bounded on the east by the municipalities of Placer and Tagana-an; on the west by the municipality of Malimono; on the north by the City of Surigao, and on the south by the municipality of Mainit. It lies between 9° 38’ and 9° 41’ north latitude.
“Beginning from the point of the peak of Mount Tandido and marked (A) on the plan, describes an imaginary straight line about 40° northeast traversing the point where Calang Creek intersects with Surigao – Bad-as Road at Km 15, marked (X) on the plan, to the point at the backdrop of Mount Hinaksoan, marked (B) on the plan, thence follow a course about 750 southeast traversing the peak of Mount Mandilibid, to its point of intersection with the existing boundary line between the mother municipality of Surigao and the Municipality of Tagana-an, and marked (C) on the plan; thence follow same and existing boundary line to the point where a cone marker 15 is located, at the point where marked (D) on the plan at Km. 22 along the Surigao – Bad-as Road; thence follow the same line to the point of common intersection with other boundary lines and market (E) on the plan, and thence northward following the existing boundary line which separates this part of the mother municipality with the municipality of Anao-aon to point of beginning.”
The described geographical boundaries of Sison are taken from the technical description creating the municipality of Sison through Executive Order No. 357.
The ancient name of the municipality of Sison was “Bugkusan” which means, “to tie or bind together”. The name signifies the desire of the people to unite, to bind them together to establish a community.
The Poblacion site was formerly located across the river with the “Mamanwas” as its original inhabitants. Later. Pioneering families from Surigao, Cebu, Leyte, and Bohol settled along with the rich agricultural lands bordering the Hinaguimitan and Hinagnoyan rivers. Banca were the means of transportation used for transporting agricultural products to the town of Surigao. With the construction of the national highway linking Surigao to the outlaying southern municipalities, the Poblacion site was transferred to its present site. It was during this time that “Bugkusan” was changed to Sison in honor of Lieutenant Daniel Sison for his commendable service in maintaining peace and order.
“Pursuant” to the provision of section 68 of the revised administration code, and upon the recommendation of the provincial board of Surigao, the barrios of Sison, Dakung Patag, Biyabid, Mayag, Tagbayani, and Mabuhay, together with their Sitios, all of the municipality of Surigao, province of Surigao del Norte, are hereby segregated from the said municipality of Sison with sear of government at the barrio of Sison.
Sison Municipal Police Station has 21 PNP personnel broken down into 1 PCO and 20 PNCOs and 4 NUP’s. The police to population ratio are 1: 600.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF MUNICIPALITY OF TAGANA-AN
Tagana-an was first established as a Pueblo in 1876, and the first Capitan del Pueblo was Miguel Alfon. The first Parish Priest was Padre Jaime Plana, S.J. a respected parish priest in the Caraga, who celebrated the first town fiesta in July 16,1877, in honor of Our Lady of Mt. Camel. The town also celebrates the day of St. Joseph, every Mach 18-19th. Prior to this, Tagana-an was a Visita of Placer along with Timamana, Talavera, and Mainit.
Tagana-an is a coastal – estuarine town located at the eastern portion in the mainland of the Province of Surigao del Norte. It shares common boundaries with Surigao City, Sison and Placer in the mainland, Bucas Grande and Siargao islands off the seawaters of Hinatuan Passage.
Tagana-an is about 29 kilometers from Surigao City along the main highway. The Poblacion and coastal area is located 7 from the junction at lower libas. Another road passes through the rustic coastal barangays of Surigao City, known as the Arellano district.
It has 14 barangays. It composed of 5 islands barangays and 9 mainland barangays with the total land area of 7,917 square hectares and a total population of 16,882.
Since Tagana-an is a coastal – estuarine town, fishing becomes the main source of their living. Aside from fishing, people also engaged in farming for Tagana-an has a large area of land. But when the Hinatuan mining started to operate, many were given the opportunity to work especially the poor ones. Mining helped to improve their way of living. It also improves the economy of Taganaan.
Taganaan Municipal Police Station
Taganaan Municipal Police Station is located in Brgy. Azucena, Tagana-an, Surigao del Norte. It has a total of 25 PNP personnel broken down into 1 PCO, 20 PNCOs and 4 NUP’s. The police to population ratio is 1:700.
Municipality of Tubod
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF TUBOD, SURIGAO DEL NORTE
The Mamanwas were believed to be the original settlers of Tubod. Being nomadic in nature, the natives moved to the hinterland when Christian immigrants occupied the place. Agustin Mendez was the first Christian settler and considered as the founder of Tubod. He was a hard-working man who cultivated a large area of land planted with abaca, rice, root crops, and coconuts. Other immigrants from Bohol, Leyte, and Camiguin followed him and made farming as their primary source of livelihood. At that time, a lot of spring water sources were discovered by the early settlers hence, the name “Tubod” — a Visayan term for spring.
During the Spanish regime, PoblacionTubod was a sitio of Timamana which previously belong to Placer, Surigao del Norte. Abaca was the primary product of its people. They delivered their farm produce to Placer using carts pulled by carabaos as their means of transportation. In 1909, the sitio became a barangay and made Agustin Mendez as their first Cabeza de Barangay. “Cabecillas” equivalent to the Kagawad in the present political structure were also chosen. They acted as sub-leaders in their respective areas and took charge in organizing their members whenever a voluntary work (Bayanihan) was needed.
Agustin Mendez prioritized the establishment of a house for worship and donated a piece of land where the Catholic Church was erected. Later on, education was given due consideration thereby Gabriel Sumania and Florencio Gallenerojointly shared their acquired lots for the school site. What was thought as a primary school then later on completed to offer elementary grades thus, establishing the present Tubod Central Elementary School.
In 1931, Barangay Tubod was placed under the jurisdiction of the municipality of Mainit. Later on found to have a big deposit of gold, the Surigao Consolidated Mining Corporation explored and operated in 1935 on its southern part, presently referred to as Barangay Cawilan. With increased employment opportunities from mining, different people came to settle in the hope of finding a greener pasture. However, the company was closed when the Second World War broke out in 1942. It was only reopened during the calmer times of 1948 and continued its operation for six years. A lot of times the company was operating on and off rendering the local economy unstable. Eventually, it had to permanently close down its mining operations.
The dwellers of Tubod positively looked forward to its development to provide livelihood opportunities for its people. So when the local leaders applied for the creation of Tubod as an independent municipality, it got its approval in no time for self-governance. For his part, Agustin Mendez donated a piece of his property to house the municipal site. On September 18, 1957, Tubod finally became a municipality by virtue of Executive Order 269 issued by then-President Carlos P. Garcia. The first municipal officials were appointed and started to run the government on October 4, 1958.
TUBOD is a landlocked municipality in the central part of mainland Surigao del Norte. The place is bisected almost equally from north to south by the Philippine National Highway. Located to its north is the municipality of Placer; east of Tubod is the municipality of Bacuag, and to its south and west is the municipality of Mainit.
It is 36 kilometers south of Surigao City, the provincial capital, which is approximately 30 minutes away by bus. Another city near Tubod is the capital of its neighboring province Agusan del Norte, Butuan City, which is only 88 kilometers away and can be reached approximately by a 2-hour drive.
TUBOD has a total land area of 5,463.70 hectares or 54.636 sq km, representing a mere 1.99% of the total land area of Surigao del Norte province. Tubod used to be a barangay of the municipality of Mainit which eventually became independent in September 18, 1957, ordered by then-President Carlos P. Garcia. At present, Tubod is composed of three (3) urban barangays: Poblacion, San Pablo, and Timamana and 6 rural barangays: Capayahan, Cawilan, Del Rosario, Marga, Motorpooland San Isidro.
Six (6) of these barangays are located along the Philippine National Highway while barangays San Isidro, Capayahan andCawilan are on the outskirts of the municipality. It has a population of 14,870.
Mining is a major industry and an economic growth driver of this municipality. The municipality has huge mineral deposits, one of the largest in the Philippines, if not in Asia. At present, there are two mining companies operating in the municipality and mineral products are copper, gold and silver. These products are sold and exported to Japan, China, Greece, and Australia.
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF TUBOD MUNICIPAL POLICE STATION
For the past few years personnel of Tubod Municipal Police Station were just occupying the abandoned old stage of the municipal building located in Barangay Poblacion, Tubod, Surigao del Norte and situated adjacent to the Municipal gymnasium. Apparently, a new building was constructed beside the old Tubod Municipal Police Station in the year 2008 through the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) . The new building was constructed purposely for the Philippine National Police. The building was finished on that same year and was properly inaugurated and turned-over to Tubod PNP personnel on 2009, which was headed by Police Inspector Ryan Barena Sabordo, Chief of Police.
On October 2009, the new Tubod Municipal Police Station was formally occupied, composed of 21 PNP personnel.
- Municipality of Burgos
Municipality of Burgos
BRIEF BACKGROUND OF THE MUNICIPALITY OF BURGOS
The trifling town of Burgos is located at the northeastern portion of Siargao Island, fronting the cosmic Pacific Ocean. Approximately, it is placed 9 degrees and 58 minutes to 10 degrees and 3 seconds north latitude and 126 degrees 3 minutes and 30 seconds to 126 degrees 5 minutes and 20 second east longitude. It is bounded in the north and east by the Pacific Ocean, west by Sta. Monica and south by San Isidro. It is the farthest town of Surigao del Norte.
It is a sixth class municipality in the province of Surigao del Norte. It is composed of six barangays, two urban barangays in the Poblacion area and four in the rural areas. Barangay Poblacion I, Barangay Poblacion II, Barangay Baybay, Barangay Bitaug are along the shoreline while Barangay Matin-ao and Barangay San Mateo are in the hinterlands but are accessible by land transportation. It has a total land area of 1,904,5585 hectares and a total population of 4, 0458 and 924 households according to CBMS Census 2014.
When the Spaniards came, they lived as a group of Unidad, a sitio. Afterward, it was renamed Barangay Burgos in 1925 during the American regime. The families of Cagas, Salvation, Dumanjog, Espanto, Macaldo, Malinao, Nogaliza, Domiňos and Virtudaso were families coming from mainland Mindanao, Bohol, Leyte and Santa Monica known before as Sapao. They were the pioneering families who settled in Burgos because of the fear of Moro pirates attack.
Burgos applied for a township status with the assistance of Congressman Reynaldo P. Honrado who requested President Diosdado Macapagal to approve it. His Excellency issued Executive Order No. 293 dated November 29, 1965, converting and declaring Barangay Burgos into a municipality.
Unfortunately, a Supreme Court injunction was filed by former Senator Emmanuel Pelaez, regarding the 77 newly created town in the whole country. It was terminated as a town on February 17, 1966, lasting for only two and half months.
The dream and sacrifices of the residents were finally redeemed when President Ferdinand E. Marcos, through the efforts of the dynamic and political kingpin, Congressman Constantino H. Navarro Sr, signed into law RA 5093 on June 17, 1967, which created Burgos into a seventh class municipality.
Unrecorded history suggests that area has been a refuge of other people where bones and other earthenwares were found in the caves near the Poblacion suggesting a pre-war period. Burgos is rich in culture as can be observed in the local folk’s day-to-day activity and as they relate to other people.
The Municipality of Burgos, Surigao del Norte is less populated compared to other municipalities on the island. The sources of income of the residents of Burgos are fishing, livestock, and farming. There is a coastal resource in the area which is protected by a municipal ordinance highly preserving marine lives called Lakyajon Marine Sanctuary located at Poblacion 1 and Poblacion 2. Anyone caught fishing within the sanctuary will face corresponding legal charges. There are developed beach resorts in Burgos located at Brgy. Baybay, a surfing area at Poblacion 2, and a cave less developed at Poblacion 2. These and more tourist destinations are visited every now and then by local and foreign tourists from different parts of the world. The municipality is reached through motorized Bangka from Surigao City to Dapa, Del Carmen, or Sta. Monica Port and from there, people have to ride a jeepney or motorized vehicles as a means of transportation to arrive in our area of responsibility.
Even though Burgos is considered as a 6th class municipality, it is also dubbed as the Little Hawaii of Siargao Island is being compared to the North Shore of Hawaii which also offers great surf spots. Many tourists come here especially from Gen. Luna, to escape the crowded cloud9 surf spot and have peace of mind for the reason that Burgos is considered as one of the safest Municipalities on the island.
Just like the Suhoton Cave in Socorro, and Cloud 9 in General Luna, Burgos also has this beautiful scenery. The Sumyot Cave is a double entranced cave and has rock formations and configurations that are exquisitely sculptured by Mother Nature. It is located in the mountainous portion of the coastal area overlooking the vast Pacific Ocean. It can be reached by boat during high tide and by foot during low tide. Lastly, Inner Tube Surf Spot at Brgy. Poblacion 2, is a perfect venue for surfing and other sea sports activities.
Brief Background of Burgos Municipal Police Station
The Burgos Municipal Police Station was activated on January 2, 1991,to protect and serve the populace and to deliver criminals into the hands of the law. The first police station was located inside the Municipal Hall of Burgos with SPO1 ARCADIO HINAMPAS installed as the first Chief of Police.
Burgos Municipal Police Station is composed of 22 personnel comprising 1 PCO AND 18 PNCOs and 3 NUPs. The police to population ratio is 1:215.